NCCN has published updates to theNCCN Guidelines® and NCCN Compendium® for Penile Cancer.
- January 12, 2017
- No responses
NCCN has published updates to the NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines®) and the NCCN Drugs & Biologics Compendium (NCCN Compendium®) for Penile Cancer. These NCCN Guidelines® are currently available as Version 1.2017.
- Primary treatment
- Tis or Ta disease (PN-1)
- The second option was revised: “Wide local excision .”
- The fifth option was added: “Mohs surgery in select cases (category 2B).”
- T1, grade 1-2 (PN-2)
- The second option was added: “Glansectomy in select cases.”
- The third option was added: “Mohs surgery in select cases (category 2B).”
- T1, grade 3-4 (PN-2)
- The option of “glansectomy” was removed.
- Management of palpable non-bulky inguinal lymph node (PN-4)
- For unilateral lymph node(s) <4 cm (mobile) and high-risk primary lesions, treated with ILND, the options for pN2-3 disease were revised by adding: “Pelvic lymph node dissection (PLND) ± adjuvant chemotherapy or chemoradiotherapy (category 2B).”
- Local recurrence in inguinal region (PN-8)
- The treatment algorithm was revised extensively.
- Principles of Penile Organ-Sparing Approaches (PN-A)
- For the topical therapies, imiquimod 5% and 5-FU cream 5%, dosing was added.
- For laser therapy, new information was added along with a table of the therapeutic lasers commonly used to treat penile cancer including suggested settings.
- Principles of Surgery (PN-B)
- This section was revised extensively.
- Principles of Radiotherapy (PN-C)
- For primary radiation/chemoradiation therapy of T1-2, N0 disease, tumor <4 cm, the qualifier “preferred approach” was removed from “brachytherapy alone” and clarified as a category 2B recommendation.
- EBRT was clarified as a category 2B recommendation and EBRT with concurrent chemotherapy was clarified as a category 3 recommendation.
- Principles of Chemotherapy (PN-D)
- For neoadjuvant chemotherapy prior to ILND or PLND, the first bullet was revised from “neoadjuvant, cisplatin-based chemotherapy…” to “neoadjuvant chemotherapy with TIP (paclitaxel, ifosfamide, and cisplatin)…”
- For adjuvant chemotherapy following ILND or PLND, the first bullet was revised by adding: “5-FU plus cisplatin can be considered as an alternative to TIP in the adjuvant setting.”
- For the regimen, 5-FU + cisplatin, the dosing was updated and a qualifier was added: “not recommended for neoadjuvant setting.
- Tis or Ta disease (PN-1)
For the complete updated versions of the NCCN Guidelines, NCCN Guidelines with NCCN Evidence Blocks™, the NCCN Compendium®, the NCCN Biomarkers Compendium®, the NCCN Chemotherapy Order Templates (NCCN Templates®), and the NCCN Imaging Appropriate Use Criteria (NCCN Imaging AUC™), please visit NCCN.org.
To view the NCCN Guidelines for Patients®, please visit NCCN.org/patients.
Free NCCN Guidelines apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices are now available! Visit NCCN.org/apps.